Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Thinking Back..... - Pamela


I can’t believe it’s been a year already in the Dominican!  Watching the Simoses and Clines arrive in the country these last few weeks has been a chance to think about our first days and weeks in the country.  My first week was spent out in the country with no lights, water, sometimes no food, and no air conditioning.  I can remember feeling so hot all the time, hungry at times, and completely frustrated with the culture.  I felt that nothing was getting done and the things that we could get done took forever.  I remember thinking in the states that we focus on customer service, I could return items if I wanted, I could get a refill on my drink, I could go to Lowes and pick out anything I needed, but here I have to ask the guy at the counter and then he would go to the back to retrieve the screw I needed. I could go through a check out line without having the bagger, the guy at the desk, and the guy at the door check my receipt before leaving the store.  

I understood the language in the states and had no problem surviving; I knew the lingo and how to get things done.  I could pick out whatever kind of ice cream flavor I wanted and sometimes only pay a dollar for a half gallon of ice cream.  The culture shock, the fact we couldn’t speak Spanish, and having to depend on people drove me crazy.  I was impatient, irritated, frustrated, humbled, laughed at, and friendless in a strange country all alone.  We have car problems all the time, in fact our car at one point caught on fire, we feel the sweat on our bodies everyday,  our stomachs are sour from the water and food, our bodies at times feel like they have been through the ringer. 

But yet as I look back at all of those things I can say it’s not really all that bad.  Yes, those things were real and such a battle in my mind and body and yes, a struggle emotionally as they were/are lived through; I wouldn’t trade that first year for anything.  The Holy Spirit did His work in my heart by comforting me, instructing me, putting a mirror in my face by exposing sin. He gave me a glimpse of how I could be content in whatever circumstance I’m in.  He spoke softly the words that His grace is sufficient for me and his power is made perfect especially when I’m weak. He gave me the desires of my heart by providing other godly woman to meet my need of fellowship. He is teaching me to be a wise woman who builds her house even in a foreign country. 
 
When I feel sad he reminds me of how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ.  He is continually working on me to do everything without complaining or arguing and to speak pleasant words because they are like honey, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Most importantly he reminds me that I have this treasure (gospel) in jars of clay (that can break at times) to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not me.  Yes it’s true, that first year I was hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed;  the good news is that I carry around in my body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in my body.  Yes, all of these things the Lord continually renews my mind and yes I still struggle and feel hard pressed at times, but I’m amazed at the work God has done this past year in my life! 

What will He accomplish this next year?  It baffles my mind to see God’s power in all my many weaknesses.  I’m such a broken jar of clay yet He entrust his precious treasure for me to carry in my body.  These next 10 weeks in the Bateys  I get to carry that treasure  and I believe my jar will be cracked at times. It will be a huge test of endurance, emotional stability, speaking nice words to my family, etc. There will be spiritual warfare, no doubt about it, we feel it all the time, so please pray with us that our minds will be continually renewed with these truths.  I am confident however, that he began this work in my life and will complete it! 

Dios te bendiga!

No comments:

Post a Comment