Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Rights - Jason

I have been reading about the battle being played out in Wisconsin and it has made me reflect a little on my own worldview.

Everyone wants “rights”; “rights” are good. As Americans, we know all about rights and we have a system that is meant to be governed by the rule of law rather than men. Other systems have also been in the news recently in the Middle East where people are also demanding rights – of course their desires might be a little more basic – the right to not be stoned to death, the right to have some basic freedoms, etc.

When I think about what is going on in Wisconsin, it makes me think about “rights” in general. Where do “rights” come from? Should all people of all nations have the same “rights?” When should we demand “rights?”

The country that I live in now has an average salary per year of $5000. And about 3 hours from me right now, there is a country where the average salary is around $750 annually and people are living in houses made of sheets, and dying of cholera because some of them believe that the cholera is really the work of witchcraft rather than an actual sickness. Do we only care about “rights” when they are ours?

I have to do some self evaluation too, because there are things that I take to be “rights” – I just assume that they are mine. For me, I have found a good way to discover those things I consider to be “rights” is to examine my level of frustration or even anger when I do not have those things.

But there is also this other part of me, this part of me that the Lord is changing to be more like Himself that keeps reminding me “you don’t have ‘rights.’” This worldview is completely contrary to the other. The One whose life is slowly and gradually becoming my life is the same One of whom is said, “Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death—even death on a cross!”

The One who truly has rights, set His aside. Now His life is becoming my life.

We are in a unique position here, because we have supporters who enable us to be here on the field. When I worked a “normal” job, I was paid for my efforts. Now, it is almost like those two things are separate – we do what we believe we are to do, and we have people who have volunteered to stand with us with financial support. It has a way of making us very thankful because of the difference in circumstances from our previous "normal" jobs. For example, a couple weeks ago, when we were out exploring villages, it was raining really hard and the “roads” were becoming more and more washed out. At one point, I went through a pretty deep stretch and once we were through, I thought, “Oh no, I have to go back through that to get out!” But we made it. We have a four wheel drive vehicle that sits high off the ground because there are people who provided us with the funds to have it. I am thankful for those people – really. I had a moment after this experience where the faces of those who support us went through my mind. Reflecting on that in light of this discussion, I am really glad that I have the opportunity to be thankful.

It turns out, that having a perspective which demands “rights” seems to go directly against having a thankful spirit. I wonder, which worldview is actually making the sacrifice?

No comments:

Post a Comment