Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Everyday Circumstances - Pamela

We’ve officially been in the Dominican a month and as I look at the time spent I feel like I could write so many different things. I’m amazed at how God has protected us and molded us in so many different ways. I think for me it’s been an uphill climb to change my way of thinking not only with how the culture works down here, but also in my every day circumstances.

For example, the Dominican has issues with the electricity and water going off at random hours. When this type of thing happens I find myself struggling inside. Sometimes I am in the middle of doing the dishes and the water goes out; other times I'm in the shower…all soapy…no water! It is so hot. When the electricity goes out, the fan, which was my lifeline to be cool, now does not function. When these types of basic things are no longer available then I tend to have attitude issues.

The things that I was so used to having in the States on a consistent basis I took for granted because it was always there to meet my need. I didn’t have to worry when I stepped in the shower that the water would turn off in the middle of being all soapy. I could wash my hands anytime all day long; I could even drink the tap water! I find it easy to become frustrated in the midst of my circumstances.

The first week we were here the electricity and water problem made me feel like I was going to cry because I was just so hot and wanted a fan to blow on me, or I just wanted to take a shower so I didn’t feel so hot and sweaty. After a month of being here I can see the Lord starting to shape my way of thinking because of my circumstances.

I found myself being more thankful. I would say in my mind “thank you God that I have this fan to blow on me, thank you God that I was able to take a complete shower, thank you God that I can have ice in my refrigerator!” My way of thinking started to shift toward what was available today that I could enjoy rather than what I didn’t have.

Many times when the electricity went off, God would send a fabulous breeze my way to simply say “I love you Pamela and I know you’re hot, here’s my way of cooling you off.” I can see that God cares about the little basic things in my life and sometimes I think to myself… “ it seems so ridiculous that these things are really bothering me,” but it is in the circumstance that things become much more clear.

The Lord is continually shaping and changing my way of thinking and when the water and electricity go off it doesn’t seem as big of deal now then it did my first couple of weeks. I’m in a continual state of being molded and shaped by my heavenly Father. May we all grow together in our walk of faith!

2 comments:

  1. I will pray for the Lord to help you be cool in the midst of the heat.

    Lord, I lift up Tyler, Zach, and Sam. Father, I pray for their safety. I pray they learn the language quickly. Please send them special friends. I pray the whole Hilgemann family is protected in the days to come. I pray they find favor with You and with men. I pray for very special friends for them. Hide them from any interference from the evil one. You are their strong tower and their strength. Bless them, Lord, and Holy spirit bring your precious word to their remembrance at the appropriate times. Fill them with your divine wisdom as they work with those around them. Bless them each with your covering for good health. Bless them, body, soul, mind and spirit. We ask these things in Jesus name.-amen
    Our Children church is holding you up in prayer. love, mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam -

    God's Blessings to you and the family! We think about you often and pray for you. As I read your blog above it convinces me even more how our God does shapes us. How he uses our situations and circumstances...you all are such a wonderful example to the people of the DR.

    We pray cool breezes for you. After spending time in Honduras I know how important they are.

    Thinking of you - God Bless - Neil and Linda

    ReplyDelete